Early in March, while working on a birthday card for a daughter’s friend, I discovered a Scrabble tile was lodged in my printer. I shook, dug, cursed, pleaded and even tried vacuuming it out…to no avail. Finally, desperate, I called for back up. The Hubbs then proceeded to stick his beefy hands inside the roller and I heard the unforgiving crack of plastic and I yelled ” nevermind” I truly hate giving up. It took me 2 days to sort through thousands of links for schematics. I even bought what I thought was a manual for service and got ripped off for $3.00. I figured it was a toss up. I could try and dismantle it myself and tear it up, or I could take it to a shop, they would rip me off and I would end up buying a new all-in-one WHICH I could not afford, or want.
Armed with a diagrammed layout for “SERVICE PROFESSIONALS” I began taking it apart. I was intimidated, to say the least, but I had nothing to lose except the Big Bite, daubbers and new Fiskars cutter I was salivating over. Armed with only my tools (pretty flowered ones, lol) I had at it. At one time, the non-handy Hubbs came in and said something encouraging that cannot be repeated here. 🙂 after 2 hours, and about 20 photographs, I HAD MY MAN!!! THE LETTER “J” (funny, the kids name had no J in it, so duh?)
Sweating profusely, I asked my husband to start dinner, as I need to finish putting Greta back together. I was on a mission and could not be distracted by something as petty as dinner. ( did I mention he was NOT a happy camper, oh well…).
I started backtracking through the photos, replacing screws, plastic bits and wires until I thought I was finished…well, I had one small screw left and a clear plastic thingy that goes over the paper slot in the back when you are not using it..(deemed unnecessary by me if it worked!).
I plugged Large Marge in. She booted up, I loaded paper, and found something to test print and VOILA!!! I was on FIRE!!!!! I was ecstatic that I, one who is afraid of electricity: unplugs appliances that are not being used; user of kill switches on plug strips, etc. I had gone where no man had gone before (in our house, atleast) and FIXED SOMETHING ON MY OWN!!! I was THE MAN! THE BIG CHEESE, THE BIG KAHUNA, EL JEFE GRANDE!!! and I basked in my own glory, as only I could ( bwahahah!)!
Not to be out done, The Hubbs then tries his hand at the DVD player which had gone on the kaput just as the 1 year warranty went on it. He not only managed to fix it, but fixed the feeds on the DVR/satellite now we can watch, program and record different things simultaneously…( I was impressed, but gave credit to my inspiring performance with the printer mission! ) 😉
Now. I was feeling my Cheerios.
I was ready for the big league. The “office” was literally mine, but the Hubbs’ unused desk was still here, taking up valuable real estate by the coveted window. I wanted that space and that window. My big girl panties were washed and dried from the previous mission. I rearmed myself and started tossing stuff. I had no help, except for the trickerheading of number one son to “help”with the connecting of the computer. The picture is not clear, but you see the magnitude of the job. IT took me a month to sort, separate and move all of the shelving around. I printed box and bin labels out with MS word pad and taped them on their respective boxes and shelves, so I know where to find everything. the only loss was the space for my home made hang it up. Need to remove some artwork, then remount. So, now you know why I have not been creating anything except a mess. Feels so good to be settled.